Pumpkin Soup recipe, easy slow cooker method
A delicious and easy pumpkin soup, made in the slow cooker
This autumn, I was lucky to get a harvest of five pumpkins, from a plant that self seeded in the compost bin. Must have been happy there, as the pumpkins are huge!
Pumpkin soup is one of my favourite soup recipes. This soup is a hearty warming dish for the colder days. You can try out your own variations; see the tips after the recipe.
Pumpkin soup recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: Slow cooker on low: 5-6 hours, on high 3-4 hours, plus 30 minutes to thicken.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1.5 kilograms pumpkin, peeled and chopped (choose a type like crown or buttercup).
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 cup cream or sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the slow cooker on to low to warm up while preparing the ingredients.
- Put the pumpkin, potatoes, onions, garlic, water and vegetable stock powder into the slow cooker. Cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the vegetables are tender and soft.
- Let the soup cool a little before blending it until smooth (although I prefer to mash it, so that it is a little chunky). You could use a stick blender, or transfer the soup to a food , then return it to the slow cooker.
- Mix the cornflour with the cream, and stir it into the soup. Cover with the lid, and cook on high for another 30 minutes so that the soup thickens up.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Variations on the basic recipe:
- Spicy pumpkin soup: Add ½ teaspoon of chilli powder, ½ teaspoon of ground coriander, ½ teaspoon of ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon of curry powder to the soup ingredients.
- Thai curry pumpkin soup: Add 2 tablespoons of Thai red or green curry paste and 2 teaspoons of minced ginger to the soup ingredients. Use coconut cream or coconut milk instead of cream.
- Kumara and pumpkin soup: Replace up to half the pumpkin with orange kumara.
- Carrot and pumpkin soup: Replace half the potato with carrots, and add 3 teaspoons ground cumin to the soup ingredients.
Check out my other recipes:
Here are a few of my other recipe: