Zucchini Recipes: 2 delicious and easy recipes for you to try
Use up all those zucchini from your garden with these two easy and tasty recipes.
It’s the time of year when the garden is overflowing with zucchini. I planted five plants this summer, which are producing 2-3 zucchini a week. So we have a LOT of zucchini to use up.
I use them mainly in stir fries, curries, and pasta sauce. And I chop them and freeze them, to use all year around. But the extras don’t go to waste, as I have used quite a few in these two delicious recipes.
The two recipes here are Spicy zucchini soup and Zucchini chocolate cake.
Spicy zucchini soup
This soup has a spicy kick, you could make it hotter by increasing the curry powder. It freezes well too (remembering to label the container with the name and date).
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
- 500g zucchini, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon white rice
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup cream or coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook zucchini and onion and garlic in the butter for around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, ground ginger, cumin, rice, and stock. Stir it all together. Cover saucepan and simmer for around 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup, and season with salt to taste.
- Add the cream or coconut milk and reheat. Do not boil.
- If it’s too thick, add more water.
Zucchini chocolate cake
This cake is so delicious!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 110g softened butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Cream butter, oil and sugar.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla essence, and beat well.
- In another bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. Blend the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the grated zucchini and walnuts (if using) and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before icing with chocolate icing.
Let me know in the comments if you try these recipes, and what you think of them.
Links to more zucchini recipes:
Click these links for some more recipes to try:
Links to my other recipes:
Here’s another recipe using produce from the garden – this one is for using up lemons.
And this recipe for Feijoa Cake is perfect in autumn.